Appropriate gifts enhance the collection and support the University’s commitment to excellence. The Henry Madden Library welcomes such gifts when items support the teaching, research, and other collection needs of the University. This is most true when items are rare or unique.
Given the restrictions of limited space and available staff time, the Library is unable to accept all offered gift materials, and an occasional hiatus on the acceptance of gifts may be declared to handle backlogs of accumulated gifts.
CSU system-wide policy does not allow the library to appraise the value of donated materials. Donors wishing to claim a tax deduction requiring an appraisal must have an independent appraisal conducted prior to the donation; after a gift is accepted an appraisal is not possible.
In general, the Library cannot use and will not accept:
- Materials in poor condition (torn, marked up, mildewed, moldy, etc.)
- Duplicate copies
- Titles widely held in the CSU
- LPs/Vinyl and VHS
- Mass market paperbacks (Science Fiction, Fantasy, & Horror; or Mystery/Detective)
- Outdated editions
- Superseded legal, medical, and other professional books
- Offprints, photocopies, reproductions of sound/video recordings, etc.
- Printouts of “born-digital” resources
- Specialized collections on subjects not taught at Fresno State
- Most foreign language publications in languages not included in the curriculum
- Most periodicals (magazines, professional journals, etc.)
[Exceptions: Issues which fill gaps in our collections of print journals.]
How to Offer your Collection to the Library:
- List: Prepare a list of the books or media you want to donate; include author, title, publisher and date for each item.
- Send: Your list of proposed donations to our dedicated email address: email@example.com
- Review: Your gift proposal will be reviewed to determine which items, if any, meet the Library’s needs. If the Library already has sufficient quantities of a title or if items do not appear to meet the Library’s current needs, we shall decline them.
- Turnaround time: We will get back to you, normally within 2 weeks, to let you know which items the Library can accept and how to deliver your donation.
- Inquiries concerning other kinds of donations, such as monetary contributions, endowment funding, bequests, and gifts of equipment are to be directed to Library Administration at the same email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Library will not accept gifts without a list of proposed donated material submitted.
Please also consider donating materials to other local venues such as the Fresno County Public Library System and local charities.
Thank you for your interest in giving to the Henry Madden Library.