Faculty can work with librarians to design and deliver tailored instruction sessions that teach students critical research skills and effective use of academic databases. Librarians can also assist in creating course-specific research guides and embedding information literacy outcomes within course syllabi and assignments.
Contact your subject librarian to schedule library instruction for your class in person or via Zoom. Please provide at least two weeks notice and plan to attend with your students. Instruction can be tailored to your course and/or assignments. Topics can include search strategies, using specific databases, evaluating sources, citation formats, and more.
Collaboration with Librarians
Librarians can work with instructors to create course-specific research guides and embed information literacy outcomes within course syllabi and assignments. Contact your subject librarian to discuss the specific research skills and resources most relevant to your course objectives and to plan co-teaching sessions or library assignments. Librarians can:
- Create course guides, web pages, video tutorials, and other learning objects.
- Design research assignments tailored to our library resources.
- Collaborate with instructors to assess students' progress and adapt instruction as needed.
- Adding your subject librarian’s contact information to your course syllabus.
- Adding your subject librarian to your Canvas course in the Librarian role.
Tutorials in Canvas
The Library’s Information Literacy Tutorials in Canvas will help your students find, use, and evaluate information resources. Available modules include:
- Scholarly Articles
- Using OneSearch to Find Books and Articles
- Plagiarism and Citing (basic)
- Preventing Plagiarism (advanced)
- Research as Inquiry
- Credible Sources
- Evaluating Sources
- Conflicting Information
- Open Minded Researcher
- Finding Surveys and Instruments
Students can self enroll in this course at this link (login required): https://fresnostate.instructure.com/enroll/AYKKRE
If you would like any of these modules to be included in your course as an assignment, you can have students submit the badges they earn as evidence. If you would like to remix, reuse or change any of these modules email a librarian to let us know and we will add them to the Canvas Commons.